Let me start by saying, I love my little boy, but lately he has been driving me crazy.
About two years ago I was concerned about the progress of his speech. I took him to the doctor and asked about my concern. He sent me to Cincinnati Children's to have him evaluated. Well, there was a speech delay, so they started speech therapy right away. I was so grateful to hear my baby's voice. It was so exciting to hear him express his thoughts and to actually hear him ask for things instead of pointing or expecting me to read his mind.
Last year, after he turned three (in October), his therapist suggested I enroll him into preschool. I did and WOW, did his speech improve! Schuyler and I were thrilled! It was and is so much fun to watch him develop and learn. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father led us to these wonderful people who have helped us and more importantly, helped him.
Well, for the driving me crazy part. I know that every parent goes through it, I just have to vent about it real quick. Jeremy has been asking the "Why?" questions now for about the last 3-4 months and my brain is beginning to turn to mush.
Jeremy: Mommy, MOMMY, MOMMY!!?!!?
AJ: Yes, Jeremy?
Jeremy: What is Heavenly Father doing?
AJ: He is making it nighttime.
Jeremy: Why?
AJ: Because it is time to go to bed.
Jeremy: Why?
AJ: Because our bodies need rest.
Jeremy: Why?
AJ: So we can get up in the morning and finish all our duties!
Jeremy: Why?
AJ: BECAUSE THAT IS JUST THE WAY IT IS!
Now, before you make any judgements, this is a conversation we have a few times everyday. I guess I should count my blessings, one he is talking and two, he is asking about Heavenly Father. I sure love my little boy.
Sunday, December 23, 2007
Why, mommy, why?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I think the "Because I'm the mommy & I said so!" is a lifesaver in certain situation.
"Because I said so" has become a regulary occurence in our home too! I completely understand the frustration. I think sometimes Connor says "mommy, mommy...MOMMY!" just to hear herself talk!
"Because I said so" works at times, but I've been hit with "But why do you say so?" a few times! Argh!
Last week after a frustrating experience with some of our kids, when I was getting upset about it, Ray looked at me and said, "It's just part of being a mom." It stopped me in my tracks -- because even with all of the little frustrating things, there are so many wonderful things in being a parent! I wouldn't want to miss out on the good just to avoid the tough times. Like most things for me, it is a matter of perspective.
AJ, you have the perspective. You are seeing the blessings of Jeremy talking even as you grit your teeth through the umpteenth "why" of each day. You are a great mom!
But I do have to admit that I'm glad that most of my kids' "why" stages have been short-lived!
I agree, it seems like overnight when the 'quiet ones' become so talkative that you can hardly stand it. I've never been a 'because I said so' kind of mom. I don't know why- maybe because my mom wasn't one either. This is my suggestion, when he asks a question, (after you've come to realize that the conversation will not end soon,)- ask what HE thinks-. 'Mommy, why is the sky blue?'-What do you think? 'Maybe because God ran out of the green crayon', 'very good thinking.'
You are doing Great! Don't get too discouraged- he is a sweetie, and you are a good mom.
I know it may seem hard right now, but I will tell you in all sincerity, the grass is always greener. This time with Jeremy will end way too soon. You are wise to count your blessings before listing your frustrations.
Love your blog. I hope to visit often. Glad to see you in the neighborhood.
We've gone through this for nearly 29 years; you've got no sympathy from me. *grin*
I just want to echo Lou: Ask him what he thinks. It will do as much to help him learn to think on his own as anything else you could do. Also, remember, asking questions is a sign of a desire to know - and that's a good thing.
I meant 20 years; I don't need to be any older than I am!
How fun. I too can't wait for Matthew's speech to pick up...but I too dread the constant talking of yet another kid!
How cute it is why questions about HF though! You must e doing something right!! (a lot of things right!)
Matthew did figure out the "why" word about 2 yrs ago...and he is STILL using it frequently. Hopefully Jeremy will get his fill before too long! :D
Feel free to vent. I feel your pain. My favorite is the mommy...Mommy! over and over and over again. It makes me want to pull my hair out!
kate still does the mommy, mommy, mommy thing. but i wouldn't change my name for all the tea in china.
makes me think of another common parenting ailment...kenny used to get soooo frustrated about having to repeat his directives to kate as she was learning growing up. he'd say, "how many times do i have to tell her[this or that]?" and i'd say, "as many times as it takes."
aint life grand! you're doing a great job!
Post a Comment