Friday, December 7, 2007

oh, the joy of gift giving

Schuyler came home yesterday and told me that his name was put into a mandentory gift exchange, and that's not the worst part, the exchange has a maxium of $40!!!! He was also told that he owed a total of $35 that was being pooled to buy gifts for his boss and the owner of the company. (ouch) He was asked to list three things that he would like to receive. Now only Schuyler would come up with these three things.(to give him a little credit, he really didn't know what to ask for) He listed:

  1. SR-71 Blackbird model
  2. A picture of Saturn 5 Apollo
  3. Colorado Avalanche T-shirt
  4. If you can find a working Mig-29 fulcrum for under $40, get me that

Anyway, they met today to pick names and Schuyler was one of the first to pick. He picked someone's name and she wanted either a target, Loews, or Cracker Barrel gift certificate. When he saw that, he wanted to shout,"STOP! STOP! I want to change my list," (thinking we could get our money back with a gift certificate and use it to buy presents for famiy) but he chickened out. He also told me that he thinks he knows who got his name because later after the drawing, he was in his office and he heard someone say,"I don't know what any of this s*** is?!?" So needless to say, who knows what he'll get for his gift. Heck, I am married to him and I don't know what half of it is.

10 comments:

Shayleen Lunt said...

Funny story. Things are always safe with a gift card! Those are expensive gifts...I think he should ask for a raise if other people there can afford gifts that costly!

Patty said...

That's really funny! And that is so totally a GUY'S list!! I feel your pain on the whole mandatory gift giving at work- I think that's one of the tackiest and inconsiderate things they can do. (Unless EVERYONE really wants to... but I haven't heard of many companies where that's the case!)

Patty said...

oh yeah... I'm supposed to be making scalloped potatoes for the Christmas party, but your blog took priority- guess I'd better hurry now!!!

Leslie said...

Mandatory 75 bucks!! That's awful! I wish he would have thought of the gift-card thing, too -- a good way to compensate for being compelled to give a large amount!

His list is classic!

Oh, and by the way, I LOVE your title for your blog!!

Steve and Jamie said...

I love Schuyler's list. I wouldn't have a clue where to buy ANY of those things. So funny!

Mama D said...

The joy kind of goes out of gift giving when it's mandatory. That does seem like a pretty expensive limit. (But I wouldn't mind being the boss if everyone's going in $35. That'll be a NICE gift!)

A couple of years ago, Ray was asked to contribute an exorbitant amount for gifts for the company owner and her husband. (I think they were going for a top-of-the-line ipod and fur coat.) I don't remember the exact amount per person but it was about what we spend on 2 of our kids. Ray said sorry, and privately talked with the boss about why his name wasn't on the card. His co-workers didn't like his lack of contribution, but we didn't like the pressure to contribute anyway or the lack of understanding of our situation. We lived, and so did all of them!

Good luck with the office gift giving. Welcome to the working-no-longer-student world!!

heather said...

That was so funny. I can just see the puzzled look while reading his list. I have no idea what any of that is but then again Kevin's list are always hard too.

Corrie- said...

Abbey, that story gave me the giggles! Andy has asked for some crazy things for Christmas too. Maybe we should just have guys buy for each other, that would make my life much easier than trying to navigate at Microcenter Mall. Great post!

Louann and Bari said...

One day last week Bari was given a $20 gift card from Target - Yea! That is socks and glove $$$ for the kids- no such luck. He also had a $20 gift exchange for work. Hmmm- He used the card (there was no other $$$ in the budget to draw from). And what did WE get back (remember the gloves and socks we needed?). He got back a Snowman centerpiece. It's cute, but it isn't socks.

Dory said...

We hate the madatory gift thing too. And by the way why does the boss need some expensive gift anyway, he's the one making all the money? Sounds like certain employees are trying to kiss up!