Sunday, October 5, 2008

The things we do for money

Well, many of you know, Schuyler and I have been doing everything in our power to finds ways to make extra money, so we can pay off debt. Anyway, one of the ways we do this is by collecting alumium cans and turning them in to be recycled. ( We are not only helping ourselves, we are also helping the environment.) Now, this doesn't bring in a lot of money, but it is one way we have been able to make a little bit more without spending even more time away from each other. Jeremy is even on board. When we are driving, he will point out cans that he sees along the road. Sometimes we will even pull over and let him pick it up for us. (Only if it is safe.) It has become a quite unique hobby for my little family and I. AND we have made a little bit of money by doing this. Anyway this leads me to my funny little story that happened to me a few weeks ago.

Jeremy was at school, so Caitlyn (the little girl I babysit) and I decided to go for a walk. I put her in the stroller and we were off. While I was walking I began to see all these cans along the street, sidewalk, and etc., so I decided to pick them up. I guess I looked funny because I noticed this guy slowdown and turn around so that he could talk to me. He pulled up to me and well, this is how the conversation went.

Big Dude: "Are you lost? Did you loose something?"

Me: "No, I am just exercising, and looking for cans."

Big Dude: "Do you need some money?"

Me: (In my head, "why yes I do, how much will you give me?") Out loud," Oh no, I'm fine, thanks."

Big Dude: "Alright"

He pulls away, and the first thought I had was how bad do I look? ( I had been walking for over an hour and a half and it was preeetty warm out.) Second thing I thought was, wow, there are still some really decent people in this world. So it goes to show you, we (the Nichols family) are willing to do ALMOST anything for a little extra pocket change, even if we look pretty weird doing it.

6 comments:

Patty said...

That's great! I'm impressed with your creative ways to earn some extra dough!

Leslie said...

You go girl!! That's awesome. If it happens again, I think you should give your first response -- who knows, it may be some millionaire stranger who's just been out looking for someone to free from debt!

p.s. - If you do meet this millionaire stranger, could you send him our way, too??

heather said...

I'm impressed not only that you are so creative with getting extra money but when you go for a walk you walk that far. When I take my kids on a walk we go around the block and I'm done.

Steve and Jamie said...

This made me giggle a little bit. Isn't it nice to know that there are good people in the world? I was flying to Utah by myself when Allison was a baby. I decided I was a little hungry so I went to a food place and picked up a small container of yogurt. When the cashier rang it up at $3 I decided I wasn't THAT hungry and turned to leave. The gentleman behind me was so concerned, he kept asking me if he could buy it for me. I think I must have looked really needy or something. I was just being cheap!

Mama D said...

You are creative and smart, so who cares if others think this looks weird?! But it is nice to know there are still some kind, decent people in the world.

Papa D said...

Great story. It really does warm my heart to hear that someone would stop and ask - and I second the suggestion to grin and say, "A few thousand bucks wouldn't hurt."